The Talmud and I

I have been involved in the study of law all of my life. As a third generation Orthodox Rabbi every-day actions are always viewed using the lens of Jewish law. The boundaries of acceptable human behavior, laws of monetary adjudication, dietary restrictions, and personal responsibilities represent just a few of the all-encompassing areas of Orthodoxy. The analysis and application of these laws to daily life is a continuous and unrelenting challenge.

I was born in a home where full walls were lined with scholarly texts, Talmudic exposés, and works dedicated to the case law that forms the bedrock of the Orthodox tradition. In grade school the regular curriculum was supplemented with the study of Biblical and Talmudic law, ethics, and history. My father, a once practicing Rabbi, would (and still does) introduce abstract legal cases during meal times for family debate and discussion. This early familiarity with the workings of Talmudic law and the enjoyable way that it was presented instilled within me a passion that I still retain today.

In addition to a strong analytical background and love of creative learning I have always had an affinity for language and literature. I am an avid reader of almost anything that I deem to be well written. I am transported inside the story I am reading and become intoxicated by the magical beauty of well-placed wording. It is somewhat jolting when I pause from reading and very rarely can I hold back from finishing a good book once I’ve started.

Talmud study is rigorous and demanding. It requires the intense scrutiny of multiple cases and the assessment of their similar yet unique circumstances and decisions. The researching of comparable cases, and the myriad of comments made upon them can often take weeks of preparation. Good writing and a strong ability in critical reading are additionally of great value.